For some students in foster care, transportation is needed to allow them to remain in the same school. Maintaining children in foster care in their school district of origin limits educational disruption, granting foster care youth school stability. By December 10, 2016, local education agencies (LEAs) in Pennsylvania and their corresponding county children and youth agency (CCYA) must collaboratively design a formal, written local transportation plan for students in foster care.
To assist LEAs and CCYAs in meeting ESSA requirements by December 10, 2016, the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services, and the Center for Schools and Communities has developed templates and guides which can be modified to meet unique local needs.
The transportation related documents include:
- A sample, modifiable Transportation Agreement Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the LEA and the CCYA;
- A sample local transportation plan template between the LEA and the CCYA; and
- A transportation plan guide to assist LEAs and CCYA with strategies and considerations while collaboratively designing their local transportation plan.
The following assurances must be met by December 10, 2016 in order to comply with ESSA requirements:
- LEAs and CCYAs must develop and implement clear written procedures governing how transportation to maintain children in foster care in their schools of origin, when in their best interest, will be provided, arranged, and funded for the duration of the time in foster care;
- Develop and implement procedures to ensure that children in foster care needing transportation to their school of origin will promptly receive it in a cost effective manner and in accordance with Section 475 (4)(A) of the Social Security Act; and
- If there are additional costs incurred in providing transportation to the school of origin, the LEA will provide such transportation if:
- The local CCYA agrees to reimburse the LEA for the cost of such transportation;
- The LEA agrees to pay for the cost; or
- The LEA and local CCYA agree to share the cost. ESEA 1112 (c)(5)(B)
Please submit your local transportation plan to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 10, 2016.